Cable Installation Update: August 2013
Amtrak continues the installation of underground signal and communication cables, the first portion of construction for the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield (NHHS) Rail Program. This work is required to upgrade signal and communication systems for the NHHS rail corridor and prepare for subsequent track and infrastructure improvements to re-establish Track 2.
As part of this work, beginning the week of August 19 there will be temporary detours and road closures along grade crossings in the town of Wallingford. Work at the following locations will occur during the daytime hours of 7AM-5PM.
Please note that this schedule is approximate and subject to change:
- Monday, August 19: Quinnipiac Street: One lane will remain open at all times. Quinnipiac Street will have westbound traffic detoured to Hall Avenue.
- Tuesday, August 20: Hall Avenue: One lane will remain open at all times.
- Wednesday, August 21: Ward Street: The road will be closed and traffic will be detoured accordingly.
- Thursday, August 22: Parker Street: The road will be closed and traffic will be detoured accordingly.
- Monday, August 26: North Plains Highway: The road will be closed and traffic will be detoured accordingly.
- Tuesday, August 27: Pent Highway: One lane will remain open at all times.
Every effort will be made to limit traffic disruptions, such as providing alternative traffic routes to motorists.
Future updates on the status and location of cable installation activities will be provided on the NHHS Rail Program website at www.nhhsrail.com and by email. To receive email updates, please register on the NHHS Rail Program website.
Progress Update: Cable installation activity began in October 2012 and is scheduled to be completed by the fall of 2014. To date, more than 37% of the construction work has be.en completed, including cable installation from North Haven to Hartford and on-track cable plowing. In addition, the installation of communication and signal equipment, as well as bridge attachments continue.
Contact: Amtrak, Peter Finch, firstname.lastname@example.org